To Become a Notary or to Renew Your Appointment You Must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- live or work in Virginia; and
- read and write English.
- Complete Parts 1, 2, and 3 of the APPLICATION FOR APPOINTMENT AS NOTARY PUBLIC. A Deputy Clerk will complete Part 4 of your application. You must then mail the form along with check made payable to the Secretary of the Commonwealth in Richmond.
- In approximately four to six weeks, a letter will be sent to you from the Secretary of the Commonwealth stating that your commission has been processed. Upon receipt of this letter, please wait three business days and then call the Clerk´s Office to confirm that the commission has been received by us. The phone number is 540-775-3322.
- After receiving this confirmation, come to the Circuit Court Clerks office located at 9483 Kings Highway Suite #3 to take oath and receive your commission. You will be required to present photo identification such as operators license, passport or military identification. Your name on your identification presented to the Clerk must match the name on your commission. Ten dollars ($10.00) will be due at that time.
There is not a renewal process. You must file a new application prior to the expiration of your commission. Please remember it takes approximately four to six weeks to process a Notary Application by the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
You may download the Notary Commission Application Form from the Secretary of the Commonwealth Website.