Registering to Vote
Can I register to vote in Virginia?
You can register to vote in Virginia if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, and
- Your home is in Virginia, and
- You will be 18 or older by the next general election, and
- Your voting rights have been restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- You have received a court order restoring competency if you have been judged mentally incompetent by a circuit court
When can I register?
- On line registration at https://www.vote.virginia.gov/
You can register anytime of the year, however, regristration is closed for the 21 days prior to a general or primary election, and 14 days prior to a special election.
How much does registration cost?
Voter registration is free.
Where can I register?
You can register to vote at any of the following places:
- Any voter registrar's office in Virginia
- Any Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles location
- Any United States Post Office
- Any public library in Virginia
- Any special registration site set up by the registrar's office
- Any state agency office
- From the Department of Elections website at www.sbe.virginia.gov
What information do I need to register?
You must provide the following information when you register:
- Your full legal name
- Your social security number
- Any place where you have been a registered voter in Virginia or out of state
- Some form of ID
Do I have to state my political party preference?
No. Virginia does not have voter registration by party.
How can I register if I am homebound?
If you cannot leave home because you are physically disabled or have a continuing illness, call or write your voter registrar. The registrar will send you a mail-in application registration, which is also available at registrar's offices, DMV offices, public libraries and other locations.
Voting on Election Day
Where will I vote?
The registrar will send you a voter registration card with the name and location of your polling place. You will find your districts listed on the card so you can refer to this website for the people who represent you in our government.
There are 5 precincts located in our County.
- 101 Courthouse
New King George High School Cafeteria **** NEW LOCATION ****
10010 Foxes WaySt Anthony's Rd
- 102 Passapatanzy
11048 Fletcher's Chapel Rd
- 201 Monroe
King George Middle School
8246 Dahlgren Rd
- 301 Dahlgren
Intersection Dahlgren Rd and Potomac Dr
- 401 Shiloh
New King George Elementary
Intersection Rt 3 and Rt 205
When are the polls open?
The polls open at 6:00 am and close at 7:00 pm. If you are in line by 7:00 pm you may still vote.
When do general elections take place?
General elections are held on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November.
What is a party primary?
The Democratic and Republican parties may nominate their candidates by either a primary election or by convention. If the party asks for a primary election for the November election, it will be held on the second Tuesday in June.
Can anyone vote in a primary election?
If you are a registered voter, you may vote in any primary. However, if a primary is held for both parties on the same day in the same election district, you must choose in which party primary you wish to vote and may vote in only one.
What if I moved within the 29 days the books are closed?
You are eligible to return to your old precinct and vote. You must change your address or name at the time to be eligible for future elections. If you move out of the Commonwealth, you will not be allowed to vote except in Federal elections for President and Vice President only.